Building Consent

A how-to guide

There are two sorts of consent and you will need at least Building consent, and you may need Resource consent

1    Resource Consent

This is needed if your proposed new house does not comply with the local council District Plan.

We highly recomend that you speak to your council to verify if your house needs resource consent. Ask to see a "Planner"

If we have sent you an initial site plan, take this to the Planner.

Many councils have "permitted activities" - such as Minor Dwellings. These permitted activities vary from council to council, so in one council a maximum second house size may be 60sqm, but in another it may be 80sqm

They will also check such things a distances to boundaries, vehicular movements, section size, etc.

If your proposed new house DOES comply with the District plan, then it probably will NOT need Resource Consent. But check with council

What ever council says to you, GET IT IN WRITING.

Resource consent can take a long time if not straightforward, and in our experience can vary incredibly from council to council. Some councils (esp Tararua) are very good. Others will want you to specify where the washing line and rubbish bins go!

2    Building Consent


Although our houses have pre-approved, national building consent, you  will  still need consent for the position, orientation of the house, location of services, driveways / parking.

Every building in NZ with any plumbing in it requires building consent by law. There are no "gray areas" there is no varience from region to region. If it has plumbing, you need consent. Homes on wheels, below a certain size, or on skids are not exempt.

The plans for the council are ALWAYS supplied as "AS PLAN" as that is how the Multiproof system works. We will provide you with a MIRROR plan for your site plans if you want a MIRROR plan.

The role of Building Consent Authorities is to:

  • Approve site specific details, including non-standard foundations (if required) and utilities; position on the section.

  • Ensure that the MultiProof conditions have been met; and

  • Undertake normal inspections during construction.

  • QuickBuild Homes only require 3 building inspections!

The Council has only 10 working days to issue a MultiProof Building Consent, based on information from the Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment website.

Plans and specifications are already lodged with the Ministry of Business, Employment and Innovation, so your council will access those plans online. We will send you a full set upon payment of deposit. No delays from council with RFI’s (Requests for Further Information) for the house.

Most councils have different forms.

Some councils are grouping together to unify building consent application formats.

Ask us if we already have a suitable consent - If we do, we’ll pass you a copy free of charge.

Check out for councils that use a shared format.

You can download PDF forms with Building consent applications from your local council.

Some councils require you to submit 2 printed copies, others you can submit by email, and some others allow electronic submission via their website. 

For your submission, you will need:

Completed Check Sheet (mandatory)

HousePlans (mandatory) - From QuickBuild Homes.

House Specifications (mandatory) From QuickBuild Homes.

Location plan - Does not need be to scale. Needs to show known points, such as road junctions or adjoining houses / sections.

Site plans - Existing & Proposed. To scale if possible. Maybe two plans at different scales for large sites.

Services Location - of all existing services, both in the road and on the section.

Certificate of Title or other Evidence of ownership. (No more than 3 months old) (

Specified Systems (form SBCG27) (not usually required for a QuickBuild Home).

Certificate of Design Work (If you have revised foundations - from QBH or your own engineer / designer)

Statutory Declaration as to Owner Builder Status (where an owner builder exemption applies) - Form 2 Alternative Solutions - Not applicable for QuickBuild Homes.

Waiver/Modification - Not applicable for QuickBuild Homes.

Geo-technical Report - Often, but not always required. Google "Geotech reports" for your area.

Any other supporting documentation - Not usually applicable for QuickBuild Homes.

Name, address & license numbers of registered plumber, gas fitter (if required), drain-layer and electrician

Estimated value of the building work - Cost of the house, service connections.

General Guide to Building Consent Applications

  • Yes to a “Project Information Memorandum, and a “Building Consent”

  • No to a Staged consent, or amendment

  • Yes to a Multiproof

  • Choose how you want to collect the consent once done.

  • Yes to “Restricted Building Work”

  • We will supply “Certificates of Design Work” and “Memorandum of Design”

  • If you are a “Licensed Builder”, put your details here. If not, you will only need a Licensed Builder to oversee the pile holes.
    (This is to make sure you own the section and are building for yourself)

  • No to any cultural significance, unless there is some on your site.

  • You will need to find “Lot” and “DP numbers - available on your council website, often through the Rating Database - That will also give you the land area.

  • New floor areas are the floor areas of your new house.

  • Building Name is what is written on the Multiproof Certificate as the name of the house.

  • Building Street address is where your site is.

  • You, as the owner, get the invoice. You won’t be able to start work or collect the consent until it is paid.


  • Your own name and address.

  • The Designer is “Neil Colliver”, QuickBuild Homes

  • The Address is 227 Parewanui Road, RD1, Bulls,

  • Email 

  • You will also need the Name, Address, Registration number of your Plumber, Electrician and Drain-layer.

Site details and information

  • Finished Floor level - Usually 600mm above ground level. (if you are in a flood zone, we can provide higher piles, together with associated engineering details)

  • A datum level point - Council maps , or a call to the council will often provide this

  • Distances to boundaries - If building closer than your District Plan allows, then you may need “Resource Consent”

  • Wind and earthquake and Climate Zones - found on the map under "Resources".  (Type in address to pull up all the information you need for your Zones, such as wind, climate, earthquake.)

  • You may have questions about natural hazards - Talk to council.

Project Information

  • "No" to Subdivision

  • "No" to alterations to land contour

  • "Yes" or "No" to New site access as applicable.

  • "No" to Building work over a road or Public place.

  • Disposal of Storm-water - usually to a Storm drain, but sometime to water tanks & appropriate overflow or soakage pit)s). Sometime to a Bubble up in the road.


Structure - B1/ AS1 & NZS: 3604 Drawing 101, 401, P13-17
Durability - B2/ AS1

Spec P9-13
Fire None Required
Access Routes - D1/AS1 Drawing 109
Mechanical Access None
Surface water - E1/AS1 Site plan, Drawing 108
External Moisture - E2/AS1 Drawing 108, 301,302, 403,Spec P 15,-17
F1 Hazardous agents on site None Required
F2 Hazardous Building Materials None Required
F3 Hazardous substances None Required
F4 Safety from falling None Required
F5 Construction & demolition hazards
(unless you are demolishing a building)
None Required
F6 Lighting for emergency None Required
F7 Warning systems - F7/AS1 Drawing 107, Specification P29
F8 Signs None Required
G1 Personal Hygiene - G1/AS1 Drawings 101, 106, 405, Spec P 21-24
G2 Laundering - G2/AS1 Drawing 101, 106, Spec P 23, 28
G3 Food preparation - G3/AS1 - Drawing 101, 110, Spec P 18, 28
G4 Ventilation - G4/AS1 Drawing 101, Spec P28, 29
Interior environment None Required
G6 Airborne & impact sound None Required
G7 Natural light Drawing 101, Spec P 29
G8 Artificial light None Required
G9 Electricity - G9/AS1 Drawing 101, 107, Spec P 19-21
G10 Piped services None Required
G11 Gas as an energy source - G11/AS1 Drawing 101, 106, 409, Spec P 21-23, 28
G12 Water supplies - G12/AS1 Drawing 106, Spec P 21-24, P28
G13 Foul water - G13/AS1 Drawing 106 Spec P 24-27
G14 Industrial Liquid waste None Required
G15 Solid waste None Required
H1 Energy H1/AS1 - Drawing 101, 201, 301,302, Spec P12, 17,18, , 31
There are no Specified Systems

Water Supply

Water can come from the road - council supply - usually in a 20mm MDPE blue pipe. You may have to pay council a connection fee.

Water can also come from storm water tanks - either concrete of plastic - your choice. But council will also want a soak pit or other way of dealing with the overflow (such as a bubble up to road kerb, or connection to a council storm water drain. Contact your council for further information.


Water from the roof will go to one of the following:

a) drains in the road

b) the road kerb

c) soak pits

d) water tanks with overflow to soak pits, or storm-water drains or road kerb.


Foul water, or sewage from toilets, baths etc will usually go to the council drains in the road. Contact council for location of drains, depth and connection costs. This is usually cheaper than septic tanks

Drains can also go to your own septic tanks. Contact a local Septic Tank designer & supplier.

Site plans

You will generally need two site plans:

1) Existing Plan showing:


Existing services

Existing buildings 

Any other features of note that me be relevant - such as slopes and levels.

2) Proposed Plan showing:


Position of new house

Dimensions to boundaries

Services routes - This will include where the services connect to existing services. Drains will need to show gradient, (typically 1:80), pipe size (typically 100mm), Access points (at a change of direction) Rainwater is generally at 1;100 gradient, and can be in 80mm pipe. Often rainwater will go to a “Bubble up chamber” by the road so the water can get to the kerb. Different council have different rules regarding Bubble up chambers” If you need a “Soak Pit”, then consult your local drain-layer for a suitable design. The council will tell you if anything else is required.

New levels / slopes, driveway & parking, North Arrow, Scale.

Areas of the existing section, the house and the house as a percentage of the section.

Possibly also "Recession Planes" or "Daylighting Standard"- these are lines drawn, usually at a boundary, to a set height (a bit like a fence top) and then slope in to the sight at 45 degrees. Their purpose is to make sure there are no over-bearing buildings right on a boundary. If you building is closer than the recession plane allows for, then you will probably also need "Resource Consent" (Often a quick and easy procedure - but occasionally, not.)

Both plans will need

  • The site address

  • The proposed new house type

  • Scale

  • Date

  • Owner name

  • Owner address

  • Owner contact details

Hand drawn drawings in Pen are permissible.

You do not to be licensed or registered to do your own site plans.

You will need the following information for your Proposed Site Plan

Typical Site Plan

Odoo • A picture with a caption

Phew! That's a lot of info.

Still have questions?
Unsure of something in your consent form?

Contact us »